Studying in Innsbruck

More than 36,000 people study at Innsbruck's universities and universities of applied sciences - here you can find useful information from the city of Innsbruck for students

This page was translated automatically. The City of Innsbruck assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of the translation.

Which universities and colleges are there in and around Innsbruck?

Public institutions

Private facilities

What financial support is available for my studies?

  • The first address for financial support for students is the Scholarship Office Innsbruck, which provides general information at The scholarship office is an institution of the federal government and not of the city of Innsbruck.
  • An overview of funding for students in Tyrol can be found in the info sheet "Who funds what?" for students by AK Tirol and for Austria the platforms Grants by the Agency for Education and Internationalization.

Please note that most grants require you to provide proof of academic success, and there may also be restrictions such as changing your course of study.

Support in financial emergencies

Which scientific prizes does the city of Innsbruck award?

The city of Innsbruck awards the following scientific prizes:

How do I find accommodation?

Overview of student dormitories

The Austrian Student Union (ÖH) Innsbruck is the representative of all students in Innsbruck and issues the ÖH-Home Compass every year. There you will find an overview of all student dormitories in Innsbruck including costs and other relevant information.

Overview WG-Rooms, Apartments

The site of the ÖH Innsbruck is also a popular platform for the housing market. Here you can find not only apartments, but also WG rooms, garçonnières or private parking spaces.

In addition, there are offers in the regional newspapers and on the popular online platforms.

As soon as you move into an apartment in Innsbruck on a permanent basis, you must file a residence registration with the Innsbruck City Magistrate within three days. If you come from Switzerland or from the EU or EEA area, you also need documentation from three months of residence.

Support for housing costs

The city of Innsbruck offers the rent subsidy.

General tips

  • Attendtutorials and information events. Especially at the beginning of your studies, this is also a good way to meet new people.
  • Have yourrental contract checked
  • Apply for abus ticket (there are discounted semester tickets for students upon presentation of the confirmation of study)
  • Helpful tips and Q&As can be found on the ÖH Innsbruck website
  • If you are moving to Innsbruck, you must submit a residence registration within three days.
  • If you come from Switzerland or from the EU or EEA area and stay in Austria for more than three months, you have to get a certificate of registration, also called documentation, from the city of Innsbruck.
  • From the start of the semester, the ÖH Innsbruck offers many goodies such as the Mensabon (discount for eating in the Mensa), information material and vouchers.
  • Innsbruck offers a wide range of cultural activities.