What is there to see at the Stadtmuseum?
The Stadtmuseum Innsbruck regularly presents exhibitions dealing with numerous facets of the city's history. Thanks to the affiliation of the City Archives and the City Museum, which form a joint department in Innsbruck, the exhibitions can draw on a large amount of sources and present the history of the city in an authentic way.
What is the current exhibition at the City Museum?
Disposing of Hitler. From the cellar to the archive
What to do with the remnants of National Socialism? Should they be disposed of? Is it acceptable to sell them at a flea market or on the Internet? What is remembrance, what is transfiguration and what is re-activation?
Last year, the Haus der Geschichte Österreich (hdgö) held a successful exhibition on these questions and chose the catchy title "Disposing of Hitler. From the Cellar to the Museum.
Visitors received a decision card with their admission ticket and were asked to answer the above questions for an object that many of us might have in our cellar. To deepen the theme, the exhibition chose 14 objects with a Nazi connection that had been given to the hdgö during collection calls.
The Stadtarchiv/Stadtmuseum Innsbruck is now showing a local version of this exhibition. We complement the Viennese exhibition with objects from our holdings as well as from friendly Innsbruck archives and collections. We have changed the subtitle a little for our exhibition because archives also have other tasks than a museum.
9. November 2023 to May 3, 2024
Monday to Friday: 9:00-17:00
How much does a visit to the Stadtmuseum cost?
- Standard admission: 4.20 euros
- Reduced admission: 2.90 euros
- Senior citizens
- JUFF/Ö1 members
- Families: 8.40 euros
- Groups of 10 or more: 3.10 euros
- Free admission:
- School classes
- Children under 6 years
- Visitors with disabilities
- Austriaguides & journalists with a press card
- Holders of an IVB annual ticket, leisure tickets, an Innsbruck Card, a Culture Pass or an ICOM card.
- Austrian Museums Association, Austrian Art Historians Association, Kolping Society.
- Further offers
- Annual ticket: 13.60 euros; reduced 9.40 euros
- Combined tickets:
- Golden Roof and City Museum: 6.80 euros - Family ticket: 13.10 euros
- Golden Roof, City Museum and City Tower: 9.40 euros - Family ticket: 18.80 euros
All holders of a Climate Ticket can obtain an annual ticket for the Stadtmuseum and the Museum Goldenes Dachl free of charge . The annual pass can only be picked up at the City Museum. It is an annual ticket and not a one-time admission.
Is the City Museum barrier-free?
Yes, at the entrance via Herzog-Friedrich-Straße 3 (at the end of the inner courtyard) there is ground-level access to the elevator, which provides barrier-free access to the Stadtmuseum and Stadtarchiv.